Ode to a Proboscis: a photo essay on noses

The nose is often overlooked, but I think that ought to change. The nose is a most charming feature that adds character to the face. No one’s nose (or scent, interestingly enough) is just like anyone else’s. Upon some research, I found that:


The average human being is able to recognize approximately 10,000 different odors.



Your sense of smell is stronger in the evening than in the morning.



People recall smells with a 65% accuracy after a year, while the visual recall of photos sinks to about 50% after only three months.


Slugs have four noses.




The nose is such a wonderful organ that many countries have dedicated proverbs to the nose. The English advise,



“Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face.”



I was confused when the Thai instructed, “Don’t borrow another’s nose to breathe with,”


until the Vietnamese clarified, “You cannot breathe through another man’s nose.”



The Russian generously says, “Let everyone pick his own nose.” (These quotes have nothing to do with the persons picture they are under...just fyi)




One of my favorites, however comes from Tibet:


“Don’t notice the tiny flea in the other person’s hair and overlook the lumbering yak on your own nose.”



Several countries cite ways of testing your luck with your nose.



In Israel:  “An unlucky man falls on straw, but splits his nose from a hidden stone.”



In Germany: “He who is born to misfortune stumbles as he goes, and though he falls on his back will fracture his nose.”


In Poland:  The real unlucky one will sprain his thumb when he blows his nose.


.



.



o



.







.



.



“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” ~Psalm 139:14



13 comments:

Andy Harris said...

LIKE THIS :D

Andy Harris said...

LOL!! Very Funny!! Have you ever thought what you would look like without a nose? :-)

David said...

OH WOW That is Funny! Me liketh my nose!

Dunvegan Highlander said...

ME LIKETH MINE TOO!!!
LOL!
This was very interesting. I'd nae heard all them proverbs afore!
-NathanH

Brian JM said...

My big nose is great for holding glasses. I like it. It even has this little crook that prevents them from sliding down at all.

Now if it would just stop the allergies thing...

Alex Macdonald said...

LOL!!! Finally the Noses! lol...this is amazing...

What's up in the Jibe-o-sphere | JibeNow said...

[...] the Mills family. That was too fun… We dropped by Vicksburg [...] […] Dunvegan HighlanderOde to a Proboscis: a photo essay on noses June 14, 2010The nose is often overlooked, but I think that ought to change. The nose is a most [...]

Grace said...

This is just the coolest thing evah. ;) I love all the pictures.

Joy said...

I'm glad I have my nose... :P

Anna said...

At last the noses! This such a cool post ;-)

Nathan Exley said...

Oh, man I was laughing so hard. what a way to take the common and make it unique. I loved it, good job! :D

Paul Hastings said...

Wow Avery, I don't think I've seen so many noses before. Neither have I seen so many close ups. Ever.

That's interesting about humans having a stronger smell memory than a visual memory.

6 Months! | JibeNow - Debate. Discuss. Mostly just share. said...

[...] strength through Lyme Disease, sibling love, an engagement, prayer requests, and totally random stuff. JibeNow Nationals [...]

Post a Comment