Oh, Taxi!

Since we didn’t have a car in Singapore, we had to take a taxi, a rented van, the bus or the subway wherever we went. The taxi drivers were entertaining to say the least…

----------

Taxi Driver: Where are you from?

Us: The United States

Taxi: Oh! You know Christopher Columbus

Us: (smiling) yep.

Taxi: (emphatically) All the history books say Christopher Columbus a great man. He not great. He just lost his way. He lucky. He not a great man…. You know General MacArthur?

Us: (highly amused) yeah

Taxi: Two Americans say, “I’ll be back,” General MacArthur and the Terminator. [He extols the wonders of The Terminator and his other “best actors”]

Us: (laughing) uh-huh.

Us: Were you born in Singapore?

Taxi: I made in Singapore.

Us: Okay, so you were born in Singapore

Taxi: No, I made in Singapore; I manufactured in Singapore. Designed in Singapore. Produced in Singapore. Have a stamp on my left buttock say “Made in Singapore.”

John David: (Indicating with his hands about the size of a baseball) This big?

Taxi: No. This big. That big, counterfeit. If on the right buttock, imported. China, Japan, Thailand, Indonesia. Imported. If you want to know where someone from, roll down their pants and look at stamp. Left, Singapore; Right, imported.

[Taxi Driver begins laughing manically, speeds up, starts vocalizing a car’s screeching noises, and saying as though he were putting words in our mouths:]

Too fast, Uncle! Too fast [fake screeching noises] Welcome to the crazy taxi driver; I the fastest taxi driver in  Singapore. See no traffic jam [He dodges out of our lane to cut in front of the cars ahead of us].

What are you doing in Singapore?

Us: (Slightly perturbed, but amused) We’re teaching.

Taxi: You? Teaching? I teach too.

Us: Oh. What do you teach?

Taxi: I teach my children. I teach them to be naughty. You want to know how to be naughty? Tonight you go to Zooks. Not Zoo, Zooks. Lots of charming girls and charming boys.

[He turns down the small neighborhood road that leads to the school, and he gets distracted by the taxi ahead of us.]

He not know how to drive a taxi. He not a real taxi driver.

[He starts tailgating the other taxi.]

He slow.

--------

We got to the school and got to of our cab laughing, thankful to be alive, and wondering what the  drive was high on… an especially interesting question since in Singapore, people caught trafficking drugs are executed. Almost without exception.

11 comments:

Paul Hastings said...

stamp on the left buttocks... wow. That's hilarious. This guy should go in your memoirs.

Alex Adams said...

That's hysterical! :D

Jonathan said...

That's a hoot

Owen Stroud said...

That was very funny. :D Foreign taxi rides can be even better than roller coasters...especially when you know you've got the craziest driver in the city. :)

Grace said...

This is one story you didn't tell me! Tehe, it's amazing. I laughed. =D

alice said...

well i'm glad you guys got there in one piece! what an experience :) sounds like he had a problem for sure - lol!

Brian JM said...

hahaha... wow. like like.

Nathan Exley said...

That is hilarious, I wish he had some sort of story published somewhere. Then I could do an HI on him. But I am not sure if it would be hilarious, I think it would just be interesting... ;)

Alison Louis said...

Hee hee! :) I think its kinda sad and funny. You know CC really did loose his way. :)

JoyH said...

WOW! That's hilarious!!! :D Hahahahahaaaaa! I can't stop laughing... ;-)
~Joy

DavidH said...

OH My!!!!!!!! LOL that is hilarious!

Post a Comment